Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pink Party, Roller-Rink Rampage in Coney!

Amazing party thrown by Dianna / Lola Staar yesterday at the Dreamland Roller Rink grand opening in the Child's building. In case you somehow managed not to hear about it, she won a contest run by Glamour magazine and Tommy Hilfiger. Her dream, the roller rink in Coney Island, was made true yesterday and we helped to celebrate it with her.

Continuing the whirlwind of Love being thrown at Coney Island right now, Dianna put on an extraordinary event with roller-skating, cotton candy, popcorn, dancers, stilt-walkers, hula-hoop girls, stars, politicians, legends, and the best part of Coney Island - people who enjoy having fun.

After hanging out with some of my favorite people (especially Marie Roberts) at the Coney Island Museum and the Sideshow, I went over and got in line to enter the party. I met a lot of great people online, especially Big Bob and all of his great friends from the roller-skating world. When Channel 12 Brooklyn news came by, we got them to interview him, and he tried to hide behind me and pretend I was Big Bob. I'm a big guy, but I'm not the famous "Big Bob." Nice try though!

I wore my equalizer T-shirt, which attracted a lot of attention, and even though I didn't end up skating (they ran out of large men's sizes - I'm a size 13) I had a great time. I met a lot of awesome people and got to spend some amazing time with others I already had the pleasure of meeting. After the party I walked with Norman (Blake, of course) over to Cha Cha's and we had a couple of drinks with the guys over there - awesome conversations with Norman, Tommy, Fisherman, Donny Vomit, Jodi, Jen, and a bunch of others. And today I was helping the Coney Island Museum stay warm so poor Marie wouldn't freeze too badly, and Dianna came by so we all talked about how great the party was and the plans for the future.


Hopefully like much that has been going on in Coney Island, this will be the foot in the door to adding more positive energy and fun to the area. And maybe in the meantime I can learn to skate!

No comments: