Sunday, March 16, 2008

Philip's Candy, My Addiction



Yes, today was yet another great day in Coney, my friends. I went there with my partner-in-crime and cousin, Jacqueline. We made the rounds, talking to some of my favorite Coney Islanders, like Norman Blake, Rob Leddy, Serpentina (who has a new beer coming out soon) and of course, Miss Cyclone herself, Angie Pontani - who I believe is the hardest working woman in Coney Island.

Oh, the skee-ball! If it's not a sport, it should be. Jacqueline and I played skee-ball, the crane game (we got robbed) and many other things. Eventually, of course, we took a ride on the Cyclone, and after two of the workers jumping on the security-bar to lock me in, I was secured. Yes, I'm almost too big for the Cyclone (6'3").

Anyhow, awesome day. The Great Fredini was in the Museum at one point with his son Kostya who was practicing his magic act, and it was great to see the two of them together, Father and Son performers of Coney Island. We also spied Donny Vomit, who always reminds me of a much cooler Coney Island version of comedian David Cross.

The icing on the cake, other than riding the Cyclone on opening day, was that when I went to my parents' house on Staten Island I had the pleasure of talking to Philip of Philip's Candy Store fame, and he's as great today as ever. I wish he was still in Coney Island, but talking to him in his store on Staten made me smile.

And oh, the candy... Mmm....

No comments: